Monday, January 21, 2008

fraud, deception and what-have-yous

A friend from a former workplace asked for my opinion on this text message she received this morning.

Hi, gud day! Ms. ____, This is Erickson! I got ur number from database! I'm working frm U.S. Base Company & my senior executive is looking for 2-3 persons to work with him & I would like to recommend you & If you qualify for this job you will earn 15-20k/mos. If ur interested just txt me to set u an appointment to my senior executive to give u more details! Dnt wori there is no commitment yet! ->gurlie, scam ba ito?

It sounded so vague (from what database?) and I bet someone is cringeing at the grammatical errors. I asked if she had already inquired as to what company this was supposedly. She, again, forwarded the reply.

This is the company add: 15th floor Octagon Bldg. San Miguel Ave., Ortigas Center Pasig City. Wear casual attire and bring 1 valid ID ->dats ol he replied. visit der company daw. He ddnt rili answer my qstn.

Does this line of answering seem suspicious? Anyway, I just don't like the way it sounded and why the recruiter was evasive. So I asked her to give me a few minutes so I could check the address online.

And the horror of it!
Just because of this I'm so happy we have the internet for information and I'm ecstatic that we are connected at home.

Yes, if you search that address using google, you'll get a legitimate company. Nu Skin is a company that sells beauty and nutrition products and does MLM. There have been several other bloggers who have written on this company's recruitment style and/or M.O. and a click on one blog reveals more than enough information to cause dismay. Previous M.O. s are usually through phone calls. Anyway, this was the blog that I read: The Sunday Phonecall

So I went back to my friend and informed her of what I unearthed. I'm not sure what she replied to the recruiter but she was informed the company is Synergy 1 Global (now you tell her!) which seems to be one of the aliases of this company.

To make a long story short, she refused. The recruiter, of course, badgered her some more and she refused vehemently and that's that. I'm happy I was able to help her avoid that trap.

Oooh, I'm definitely annoyed at this. Don't you just hate sneaky, deceptive MLM schemes?

No comments: